Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 1 ms Zaandam May 22, 2011


After a scenic 2 hour ride through the snow capped mountains connecting Anchorage and Seward Alaska we arrived at the ms Zaandam on a cold and rainy day. Then everything went into supersonic speed as I checked in to my room, went to HR for my employee ID’s and met my ‘buddy’, the outgoing Travel Guide ( a big and friendly man who has been aboard this ship for 10 months). He is very knowledgeable and friendly and told me about 5,765 things relating to my job and life aboard the ship. I met dozens of people including the Cruise Director, DJ and others. Tonight I was introduced onstage during the opening show for the passengers. After the intro, I immediately went to the rooftop lounge and had a Jack n’ Ginger (Double) and ran to my cabin to connect to the internet and write this and unpack.
We are at sea now and the ship is rocking gently as I write this. Monday morning at 6am I will give a narration of a port to the entire ship over their loudspeaker system. Then I will watch the Travel Guide do 2 presentations on Alaska. I will be taking over the talks by Tuesday and be on my own by Thursday.
The Travel Guide position is one of the (if not THE) most visible jobs on board, I will know everyone and they will know me. I am constantly ON and will interact with crew and Guests every day.
Being on board is isolating in that there are no phones and getting free time to be online is challenging. In many ways I feel like I am on another planet and feel free and relaxed… in another way, it feels weird to be cut off from friends and family. I think I will warm up to the lifestyle of new friends, a 5 star cruise ship as my home and the beauty of Alaska’s landscape and wildlife. Part of my job is to be on the tour excursions everyday to learn about Alaska. That’s not touch to take.
So, without writing a novel or being too dramatic today was one of the most emotionally draining and exhilarating days of my adult life. I am thrilled to be living a dream that everyone has at one time or another… to live on a cruise ship and travel and explore and lead a very different life with different priorities. I will write as often as I can and look forward to your emails. I will call when I can as well. I can’t wait for the first few weeks to be under my belt so I can feel relaxed, but I am also going to relish my heart pounding so hard in my chest as I have been given another chance to have the best job on the planet.
Be well and stay in touch.
My thanks to my son Lee who made this possible by telling me that he believes in me during my darkest hour and suggesting I contact the cruise lines for a job. This is for you Lee. I adore you.
Love,
Me.
blog comments powered by Disqus