Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eating my way through South East Alaska June 15, 2011

 

 

 

 

Eating my way through South East Alaska June 15, 2011
I have Kayaked, climbed mountains and witnessed glorious glaciers, but nothing compares to the last 2 days of my Alaska adventure. Eating some of the most delicious food in Alaska. Tuesday’s Shore Excursion was to a Private Chef six course dinner at 10am overlooking the harbor. Smoked salmon, Black Cod ( Alaskan Butterfish ) King and Dungeonous Crab, Blueberry pie with rhubarb and whipped cream. By noon, I was swearing to myself that I would never eat again. Another lie to self…I was hungry for dinner. Today I took a seaplane ride (take-off and landing on water) over 5 ancient glaciers, mountains and areas that gave you an idea of what the Ice Age looked like on Earth. The plane landed at Taku Lodge, built in 1925 as a private home overlooking glorious mountains, water on every side and rolling hills. The inside of the lodge had a roaring fireplace and felt like I was in the same lodge that Bing Crosby was in the movie White Christmas. Big sofas, rocking chairs on the porch and a built in BBQ pit where King Salmon was being prepared to PERFECTION over real wood. When the food was done, the cook rang a dinner bell and about 25 of us sat down to a spectacular feast of Salmon, cole slaw, fresh baked rolls and warm fresh ginger cookies for dessert. As soon as we were all seated, 2 bears came to the grill and began eating the salmon drippings. I ran outside and started taking pictures. The bears were so close you could almost pat them. In fact, one of the hosts told me not to go any further as I was too close. This picture was not zoomed or cropped. I was THAT close. Then, 2 more bears came by and they were walking around us and the grounds so casually. They were climbing trees, and playing with each other. On a cool, sunny day on a private lodge in Juneau. The only way to get to this lodge is by air or boat. Too much. Tonight, another crew member told me that guests that did not know my name were referring to me as the ‘short, old man’ who does this and that. I knew I was old, but short too? Old and short… just what I needed to hear. My uniform came today. I have to get it tailored (of course) but soon I will get out of my Boynton Beach clothes and into a real uniform. Now, try to find the tailor on the lowest deck of the ship. The days fly by, the nights are lonely and it all starts again at 7am Alaska time.
Posted by Picasa
blog comments powered by Disqus