Friday, June 10, 2011

The first Syatt to Kayak in History June 10, 2011

 
 
The first Syatt to Kayak in History June 10, 2011
Today’s adventure was Kayaking in Ketchikan, AK along a gorgeous ocean inlet with eagles soaring overhead, sea lions sunning on rocks and the ‘big surprise’ were 4 humpback whales swimming alongside our Kayaks. Really, they were not far away from us. Coming to the surface to blow their air out and sink below the surface to feed themselves. Having never Kayaked before I had no idea how much energy it took to get from one point to another. Constant rowing and my kayak was still the last in our fleet. A gorgeous day with sun shining and cool air.
This weekend will be the end of my third week on board the Zaandam. Three weeks flew by like a short nap. Last night I finally found The Officer’s Bar on A-Deck where crew members go after their long day to drink, talk, play darts, listen to great music and hook up with each other. I had been avoiding going to the Officers Bar but I could only stay in my room alone for so long. Drinks are cheap too. A double scotch was only $2. Before drinks, I went to the on ship movie theater and say a Matt Damon movie named “Adjustment”. A love story, futuristic thriller with a great ending. The movie ended at 9.30pm and I was determined not to go back to my room so I went to the bar and had a very good time.
I am writing this blog entry while sitting at my desk in the Explorations Café where they serve gourmet coffee, have a lovely library and comfy leather reclining chairs in front of large picture windows while the scenery changes every moment with one magnificent mountain or landscape after another. To my left is a 4 piece classical ensemble playing the most lovely classical music while Guests are enjoying their cocktails. So much nicer than listening to recorded music.
This morning I hosted a live Trivia game in the Crow’s Nest lounge on the 9th deck. About 20 people came to the lounge to play the game. That was fun. Then I dashed off to the gangway where I talked with passengers about their day and went on my own Kayaking adventure.
While I am not completely settled in, I am feeling more comfortable and happy to be here. I made the right choice. This is a great lifestyle. I am happy.
Did I tell you about the 2 mother black bears I saw yesterday walking their cubs across the street right in front of me? No gates or fences. This is their land too. They were probably hunting for salmon in the nearby stream and looking for more food. This is not Disney World… they were not scheduled to walk by and there was no human in their costumes. Real bears just moseying along.
Posted by Picasa
blog comments powered by Disqus