Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rock climbing in Alaska on a BIG mountain June 8, 2011

 
 
Rock climbing in Alaska on a BIG mountain June 8, 2011
At 7am the doors of the Zaandam opened in Haines, AK. After 2 hours of greeting Guests on the pier, I took a 40 minute ferry ride across a canal Skagway. From there, an 8 mile van trip to the location in the mountains where we rock climbed and rappelled from 70 foot high cliffs overlooking tree tops. Good thing I was wearing Pampers because it was FRIGHTENING. I climbed the rocks but declined the full rappel. The others did it but I was too queasy to go through with it. What I did was enough for me. I think I will stick to more adventures on the ground. I am still waiting to land on a glacier by helicopter. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe a wildlife excursion to see brown and black bears or a whale watch. Alaska and Hawaii are the best places for whale watches.
The days are 12-14 hours long and just fly by. Then, at the end of the day I am too wired to go to sleep as is the case now. I just listened to a classical quartet in one of the many lounges, had a blue martini and now some Bailey’s in my cabin and writing this blog to unwind. I had a live presentation in the theater and that went well. Getting much easier. The Pilipino stage hands who get me set up with the microphone and lighting call me Sir Richard or Daddy Richard. They say it is a sign of respect to call you something other than just your first name. I like the Pilipino people. They are very smart and so happy to be working on a big cruise ship. It is fun getting to know them.
I am already planning my next contract. I would like to go to the Caribbean or Mediterranean for 3-5 months at the end of the ‘season’ in Alaska. I would miss life on the ship. Lots of smiles and the regimen is habit forming. I love having everything ready for me. When I wake up I throw some clothes on and RUN up 2 flights to the Lido restaurant for coffee. The hospitality starts the moment I open my cabin door. I just want coffee and cereal and time to plan my day.
Lee’s birthday is in July and I am starting the paperwork to have him aboard the ship. How great to share all this with THE person who made it all possible. Big Lee. He will love it here aboard the Zaandam.
Posted by Picasa
blog comments powered by Disqus