Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Heading south to Alaska May 31, 2011


Today was my return to Ketchikan (the salmon capitol of the world). On the dock to welcome passengers at 7am. By 8.15 I was on a tour bus heading to a native village and then a tour of an old salmon cannery that was in operation from the early 1900’s thru 1950’s. The tour ended with a lovely boat ride on a 78 degree day of the harbor watching eagles soar and the gorgeous coastline.
Back to the Zaandam and a live presentation on stage at 3.30pm. I fret about this all day and I do ‘OK’ but not my favorite part of the job. I am a better ad-libber than a speech giver. But, I get through it and hope to greatly improve, FAST.
The buffets are amazing. I am cutting back after my first week of French fries and desserts. My clothes were getting to tight. I still eat too much, but I am trying.
Today I was having a difficult time with NOT being able to make phone calls and email when I want. I miss you very much and I am feeling a bit isolated. There are 2,000 people near me at all times, but I am lonely for conversation and connections.
I do LOVE interacting with the Guests and those conversations. They are spontaneous and fun. I learn a little bit more every day and can schmooze my way through them pretty much.
It is a great gig and l like it very much. Just so much to learn and get used to. I still pinch myself when I realize I am working on a cruise ship after dreaming about it for such a long time.
Time to get to ‘desk duty’ from 6-8pm and then come back to my room to study for tomorrow in Juneau. The day starts at 8am and my presentation is at 8pm, so another long day.
I share my desk with Anthony who worked for QVC shopping network in London and Natalya, a very gorgeous Russian young Lady and tonight we chatted for quite a while. That helped me end the day on a high note. That, plus very nice Guests.
Tomorrow I expect to go on a shore excursion in Juneau. I like the Salmon bake or Canoe ride to a glacier. Not a bad job.
I miss you though very much.
blog comments powered by Disqus