Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy New Year 2012

A year ago today what would my reaction be if you told me that NEXT year you will be working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean as a travel Guide? Would have laughed you off or be annoyed at such optimism? Here I am, on my 3rd contract in the heart of the Caribbean for the holiday cruise. Tonight is New Years Eve and the entire ship will be a floating New Years Eve party from one end to the other. Pick a deck and there will be a big band or a string quartet or Broadway tunes or tribute to Michael Jackson. Open bars, private parties, lots of fun and 2,000 people dressed up with dreams of a better 2012. New Years day will be long for all of us. At 8am I will be greeting guests in the lido restaurant. 10.30am on stage with 500 crew members saying goodbye to this week’s cruise guests. 2pm I will be on stage hosting a presentation on Pirates of the Caribbean and the day is only ¼ done. I am having a very good time. I like my co-workers, I like the Caribbean (what’s not to like), the shore excursions are awesome where everyday as part of my duties I am to go on a fun, expensive well planned trip to see islands like no other people get to experience. This week, my favorite shorex was a trip to Roseau, Dominica and getting a tour of the island…stopping at a local vendor’s truck on the side of the road and sampling some freshly picked pineapple, coconuts and bananas right off the tree. Maybe it was simply the best fruit I ever had because I was in a tropical forest with a local cutting my fruit with a huge sharp knife and almost hand feeding me. We were also in San Juan, Nassau, and St. John. Last night I needed a haircut and went down to B deck where a nice young Pilipino kid gave a one the best haircuts on a small stool with toilet paper in the collar of my shirt. He did a great job. I like the Pilipino and Indonesian crew. They have such a happy attitude and honest way about them. In a few days these passengers disembark and a whole new group gets on and I do this until February 17th. I like it a lot. The people, the ports, the food, the energy, the glitz of it all. I started by day ay 7am and it is now Midnight and I am not quite ready to go to bed even though I have to be up in a few hours. I am learning a lot and like the growth spurts, even though they sting when they happen. So, my dear friends, I will miss being at Vincent’s New Years Eve party or being with you in a small house party or just having a drink with you. This part is lonely blah, blah, blah. Happy New Year. Please know that you are in my thoughts and I ache to touch you and be with you. That’s why these blogs keep me sane. Happy New Year with a big wish for the best year yet. I love you and keep you in my heart every moment of my day. Hey, in 1 month I will be 59. That will not be easy to take. My dad was right…this goes by in the blink of an eye, Love you, Goodnight
blog comments powered by Disqus